There for You’s winter fuel grant programme opens today, 31 January, offering grants of up to £200 to help UNIONS’s most vulnerable low-income members and to help ease the worry of paying for their next fuel bill.
UNISON understands the financial hardship many members face, whether it be due to rising living costs, the removal of universal credit uplift or other inflationary pressures.
Last week’s announcement that inflation rose to 5.4% in the 12 months to December, with the possibility of further increases to the cost of gas and electricity on the horizon, will have added even more pressure on the finances of low-income people and caused serious anxiety across the country.
The grant programme is limited and once the maximum number of applications has been received, it will be closed, so get your applications in soon to avoid missing out.
Am I eligible?
- you must be a UNISON member and have paid at least four weeks subscriptions at the time of applying;
- you do not have savings of more than £1,000, which includes rolling bank balance;
- only one application per household will be considered;
- you/your partner are responsible for household fuel bills.
And either …
you are on a low income:
- for a single person, this means under £18,200 per annum/£350 per week;
- for a family this means under £26,000 per annum/£500 per week.
you are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- housing benefit;
- universal credit.